Friday, September 4, 2009

Freaky Friday?

Hey, girls....a little departure if I may. If you don't mind, I'd like to bore you with two work related stories/observations from this past week. Our department sponsors a career fair in the fall and spring. Interested employers click a link on our website to register and pay to come - a couple of screens - no big deal. I picked up the phone the other day and the man identified himself as so & so from the FBI. He said he was having trouble registering online. In the split second before I said, 'What screen are you on?', the following thoughts flashed through my mind - 'Seriously? You find missing persons, wiretap and nab mobsters, bust Enron folks and track down fugitives - and you can't fill in the screen? Have you never seen Without a Trace?' As I thought about it later, I was first of all amazed at the speed with which I thought of all of those things. And secondly, I was grateful for my age slowing me down enough that those same thoughts didn't come tumbling out of my mouth. I don't think FBI guys are known for their sense of humor. Another career fair-related story. Independence Blue Cross registered as a non-profit. (Non-profits get a reduced rate) As they are my health insurance carrier, I had trouble believing that they are in fact non-profit considering the thousands of dollars they get from us each year. I looked it up online and....sure enough - they are a non-profit company which, combined with Highmark Blue Cross, made 20.4 billion dollars last year. How is that possible? That is not my idea of 'non profit' My idea is more along the lines of my bank account running on fumes during the second week of my pay period - yet I'm still going to work everyday. Perhaps if I declared my self a non-profit, things would change....hmmmm.....anyhow, thanks for letting me vent after a long and fairly stressful week. Back to our regularly scheduled quilt programming. I thought of a little Quiltmama trivia contest. The following are two pictures of projects made by Quiltmamas. Who made each - and bonus points if you can guess the date (year will do). Good luck....contest is only open to Quiltmamas - no one else would know! Prize to be determined........Piece....











4 comments:

lois said...

I'm guessing that Dolores made the first quilt. I think maybe Peggy made the second one in 2005 or when ever you taught that quilt at the high school.
We installed a toilet today----laods of fun. Ha.

Dolores said...

I know the first one is mine, I gave it to a girl at work who was having a baby, I made it down the shore about two years ago. The second one is Peggy's she made it the same weekend, here's a little tid bit, it was the first time I meet Lois and she made a very cut girraf quilt and was nice enough to let me sleep in her room. But it looks like Lois won. The shore was great. Glad to be home, which according to Joe Byrnes makes me a loser. I married him so there must be something wrong with me. Saw mare & Mo and fam on the OC boardwalk,very exciting. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. I'm thinking about sneeking out on Monday to see the Time Travelers wife if anyone is interested. The book was excellent. Peace & Harmony to all.

Dolores said...

Shoot I just took a closer look at that picture and that second quilt has girrafs on it, so that is either Lois's quilt or I was wrong about who made the made a girraf quilt. I am a loser.

lois said...

Dolores, you are right. I just found the picture that Jean took of me with the giraffe/green quilt. Pretty bad that I can't remember what I made.
Happy Labor Day everyone. Good luck Burkie!