Monday, April 14, 2008

Good Evening Girls,

Thinking healthy thoughts here... Scott & I made the switch to whole wheat pasta & bread a while ago. Recently, I have been trying out brown rice recipes. This evening I made a baked brown rice recipe that was EASY & it worked! Gotta love that. ; ) I have a baked oatmeal recipe that I may try next...

Also, bought a pomegranate from Market a bit ago. Finally, scraped out those little miracle seeds. They're on a salad for each of us to take to work tonight.

This weekend I bought a papaya @ Market. I've never eaten one before. I needed to read what to do with it. Currently, it's ripening on our counter top. We'll see...

What's new in your kitchens? Any good recipes? Any healthy food suggestions? I am ALL about antioxidants!!! Soup weather is nearing it's seasonal end, so I have to find other ways to incorporate healthy into our diets. Do I sound old? Maybe you shouldn't answer that...

Mare - would you PLEASE share your pizza dough recipe?! Tell me how you make it using whole wheat flour. Thanks.

Enjoy your evening. The weather has been NICE! Enjoy it too!!!
Piecefully, Pam

2 comments:

quiltmamajb said...

Good morning....happy Tuesday! Pam - would love that brown rice recipe - just bought a bag of organic brown rice and am wondering what to do with it. How do you find the whole wheat pasta - I tried one brand and it was lousy - do you have one you can recommend? Mare - would love your pizza dough recipe too! I'm trying to plan/have healthier options too. Gentile's is a huge help - so much cheaper than the grocery store produce - and much better quality. If you like granola bars or cereal - Fiber One makes some very good products - and they have a ton of fiber. Moving along on my four graduation quilts - they need to be done in two weeks time. And only two weeks of high school class left - the weeks are just flying by. Pam - have you begun the countdown to summer? LA - have you finished the tote bag? Dolores - how's the hand quilting coming along? Mare - that Happy Birthday quilt was just adorable! What a great idea. Hope everyone's getting a chance to sew in between ballgames, gardening, dog-walking and other busy stuff. Piece...

sewpam63 said...

Jean - the baked brown rice could not be easier, & it turned out nice. Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 C long, medium or short grain brown rice
2 1/3 C water
2 tsp butter/margarine
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 375. Spread uncooked rice into bottom of ungreased 8" ceramic baking dish. Bring water to a boil; once boiling, stir in butter & salt. Immediately pour mixture over rice. Cover tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove baking dish from oven & uncover. Fluff rice with fork, then cover with a clean kitchen towel & allow to stand 5 minutes. Uncover & let rice stand another 5 minutes; serve immediately. Recipe may be doubled & baked in a 9 x 13" baking dish.

I often times make a little "extra" rice or pasta, then freeze it. I use ziplocks to store it in the freezer, & will use it in soups or other dishes when I'm in a hurry. Quick & easy!

About the whole wheat pasta. I don't care for regular thick spaghetti. I use angel hair pasta or a thin spaghetti. I think this minimizes the "chewy" nature of whole wheat pastas. I don't have a brand preference. I often use whatever is on sale - I buy it @ Target, the Head Nut, Trader Joe's & the Giant.

This morning I made baked oatmeal. It turned out alright. I used regular oats, but would like to be able to adapt the recipe to use steel cut oats. I'm working with a recipe from Momma Barb! : )

Piecefully, Pam