Thursday, May 14, 2009

Good Evening 'Mama's!

ATTENTION - I edited this post 5/15/09 around 10:00 A.M.

Jean - thanks for recapping last evening's Bee. Wasn't it FUN?!?!?! EXCELLENT time girls (and little boys too!) - thanks again!

OK, now I'm free to discuss the Aunt Millie's applique block. ; ) Click on the link, go to the Piece O' Cake website & check it out!!! The bottom middle block with the Blue Flowers is the block that was selected. It has the most hand applique techniques to teach/learn. It will be-e AWESOME, girls!!! : ) I don't want you to feel intimidated. These are big blocks with large repeating shapes. You CAN do it! I will show you how & help you along the way!

There is a fairly extensive list of supplies you will need. Perhaps amongst yourselves you will want to decide who is bringing what & share some of the notions & things...

Fabrics:
>Background square cut to 16 1/2 inches x 16 1/2 inches square
>for the applique shapes you will need an assortment of fabrics (there are no measurements given in the directions, but I think fat quarters will be fine, 1/2 yard cuts if you want to be certain...
*dark blue print
*light blue print
*another dark (more solid) blue
*medium (sort of lime) green
*light green print

Notions:
>thread to match your applique fabrics (grey or beige can work too)
>sewing needles
> a soft, pliable thimble (leather as opposed to metal)
>freezer paper
>paper scissors & a small, good pair of fabric scissors
>Templar - 1 sheet (available @ Cloth & Bobbin)
>a mechanical pencil
>an extra fine point black Sharpie marker
>poster putty
***IF you use a dark fabric as the background you will need to bring upholstery vinyl. This is sold @ Jo-Ann's on the long rolls. It's pretty cheap stuff. You will need a piece the same size as your background...so, you will have enough to share with another person if you want.

I will bring:
>Thread Heaven for you to use/try.
>Perfect Circles
>Bias bars
>"fancy" : ) tooth picks
>Elmer's School glue with a fine tip
>a fine grit sand paper folder (Cathy - if you could have your large cutting mat available & flipped to the unmarked side, that would be helpful too!)
>Magic Sizing & a small paint brush
>stapler & staple remover

Alright, that does it! Take a deep breath. Breathe. Relax. : ) We'll stitch together, share supplies & LAUGH! Ask ANY applique questions ahead of time for clarity. And, if I've missed anything I'll post it on our blog! You eat an elephant one bite at a time...we'll applique one stitch at a time too! ; )

Piecefully, Pam

P.S. I removed & edited portions of this post. You're right - TMI! Sorry. ALL that information is just TOO much here. So, I will paste it into an email. If you'd like me to send you the email, just let me know. Otherwise, we'll discuss this stuff when we're together stitching! ; ) I appreciate your honesty & responses. Thanks for your patience with me! I apologize if I scared anyone off because I'm a zealot.

2 comments:

Dolores said...

OMG! I only read half of the blog and I am ready to quit. I don't know if this is for me, but I will try.

sewpam63 said...

PLEASE, don't be overwhelmed!!! Just read it in small bits. Then read a little bit more. Give yourself time.

I'll be away for the weekend & out of email contact most likely. TGIF, girls & ENJOY your weekend!!!