Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Howdy Girls,

How is everyone this evening? Are you surviving the heat?! Whew, it IS h-o-t out there!!! Jingle & I were a puddle after our walk this evening... & I wasn't wearing a black, fur coat!

Today, my Sally Collins class ROCKED!!! She gave GREAT information & insights. This was one of my BEST EVER classes, no kidding!!! Here are just a few nuggets of wonder that I learned today, I hope you find them as inspiring...

>Quilting is a LEARNED skill.
>Borders play just as important a role as does the quilt body.
>Skill, care & workmanship are a cumulative process that should work in concert!
>When rotary cutting, if the fabric is folded ON GRAIN it will help prevent those little "v's" in cut strips.
>How to sew straight...LOOK @ the seam guide NOT the needle.
>Color gets all the glory, but value does all the work.
>Just a few quiet, concentrated colors, but in MANY values will fill (small) spaces without causing chaos.
>The smaller you cut color, the darker it gets.

And, I noticed, processed & then LEARNED - color value/gradation makes a quilt RADIATE...which can even give the feeling of motion within the quilt.

Yep, it was a remarkable learning experience!!! My head hurts, but my soul is singing!!! ; )

Piecefully, Pam

5 comments:

quiltmamajb said...

Pam....sew glad you enjoyed the class. I'll need a little demo on the fabric folded 'on grain' - I get those litle 'v's' and they're a pain!!! Did she have a lot of her quilts there? You must be getting very excited for Barb's - when are you leaving? Hope everyone has a nice day - when is this heat going to end????? Piece...

quiltmamajb said...

Forgot to mention - I got a big, giant postcard in the mail yesterday announcing the Opening Party for the Cloth & Bobbin - the new quilt shop in Narberth!!! It's Saturday, September 8th from 1 to 5 pm. Pam - could you put that on the bee calendar - I'm still struggling with that. Thanks.....

Lori said...

Hi girls-
I wanted to let the Mamas down the shore that I was at Calico n cotton last week and I picked up a cute pumpkin kit for $20 so keep an eye out for it. I thought it was a good price. By the time I bought all the oranges I would have spent more than $20!! Enjoy Ikes also. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon. Pam--have fun at sewing camp!!! Hi to everyone else.

Consuelo said...

Havertown is alive,
with the sound of quilting.
Pam's soul radiates
with the value of color grading.
Oh Havertown is alive,
with the sound of quilting.
May all of your rotors cutters
never dull.....

quiltmamajb said...

Sounds like someone has watched one too many movies while on vacation.....hmmmmmm.....