Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Good Evening Girls,

We had a "bonus" evening when we got up today. It wasn't raining!!! : ) Scott & I went outside & did some yard work...weed pulling. It FELT good!!! : ) We've been dedicating our time to working INdoors & it was a pleasant change to be OUTside! Hooray!!! Although, we made a mad dash out to the patio to bring in chair cushions 'cause it's raining NOW.

I have some questions. I am soliciting your opinions on fusible web. I am not proficient with the stuff & am looking for some help. There is more than one brand, & even more than one product within a brand to choose from...I don't have enough experience to make an educated choice. For my Bunny Hill blocks I have tried 3 different products. I will give you my review in another post if you're interested. But first, can you share which fusible web YOU use & why? What brands have you tried? What do you like about the brand you usually/currently use? Do you trace lines with an ink pen, a pencil, a Sharpie marker or something else altogether? Do you have a pair of scissors dedicated to the cutting of fusible web? If not, does the fusible dull your scissors? Do you use a pressing/applique sheet - to protect your ironing surface, your iron, etc? Have you had to clean fusible web from your iron? How did you do it? Do you "windowpane" you fusible shapes...ie, cut out the middle of the fusible web BEFORE you iron it to your fabric in an attempt to keep you quilt "soft"? If so, does the paper backing stay intact until YOU remove it for fusing to your fabric? Any tips, pointers, suggestions or guidance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!! THANKS!!!

Hasn't the Virtual Quilt Festival been something?! I am amazed & inspired by the beauty!!! What a SUPER idea!!! : ) The world wide web is stupendous!

On the down side of this...looking @ other blogs makes me feel like such a novice. I feel like such an uninventive, uncreative or unimaginative person. : / The ability to create tutorials, do video feed, podcasts, etc...feel SO out of my realm of possibility?! I can't figure out how to "add" those "buttons" - like to the virtual quilt festival, or to Bunny Hill for the free BOM. I'm interested in adding a "banner" to our blog, but don't know how it's done. I am unsure how to use Flickr, Twitter or MySpace, FaceBook, or Skype & quite frankly I feel afraid of & intimidated by such places... Your thoughts...?! Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Do you have a teenager who would be willing to advise or teach me? Or, Two Pocket Matt, if you're "listening," any interest in lending a learning hand...? Is anyone willing to show an old dog new tricks...?! Meanwhile, Piecefully will continue as is. I hope it's not too boring. May it provide links to other places of greater interest.

Enjoy your evening. Stay tucked in & take a few stitches. ; )
Piecefully, Pam

2 comments:

quiltmamajb said...

Good morning....it was a beautiful afternoon and evening yesterday but that thunder last night was really something. Fusible web - let's see. I had always used Steam-a-Seam and Steam-a-Seam II. It's very light - but sometimes that's the problem - it comes off in pieces. I tried Heat-n-Bond Lite and I like that better. You don't use steam or it doesn't stick - found that out the hard way. I usually use a pencil to trace the shapes onto the paper side - but sometimes a pen if a sharp pencil isn't available. I cut it with my fabric scissors. I don't use an applique pressing sheet - but I haven't really made anything where you fuse multiple applique pieces together before fusing to the background. I windowpane the shapes if they're large. I haven't gotten the stuff stuck to my iron in a while - but they say a dryer sheet is good for removing it. Sometimes it's a pain to get the pieces to lay flat - I find if I press the background piece and put the shape down, the warmth helps it to lay flat but not stick so much that I can't move the piece around if need be - does that make sense? I think that's all I know about fusible. I've really been enjoying the virtual quilt show - and seeing all those blogs has certainly been eye-opening. But it has also made me appreciate our blog even more. I've never enjoyed websites that are 'busy' - tons of buttons, ads and stuff going on all over the page. I find a lot of those blogs to be like that - tons of junk up and down each side - it's overwhelming and I can't be bothered looking through all of it to find something interesting. Pet peeve - I don't know about anyone else - but I really dislike the music. I'm usually am already listening to music - and some of them are really loud! Ok - enough of my personal rant. Pam - you've posted pictures of projects in prgress - as a demo and that's great. Very clear and easy to understand. I like seeing pictures right in the body of the blogpost - clicking out to Flickr or somewhere is fine but not always necessary - and sometimes it's hard to navigate back. Look at all the things you do now that you couldn't do about 400+ posts ago! I don't think it's boring and best of all - it's ours - you've created a place for the Quiltmamas to hang out virtually, help each other, support and inform each other and just be ourselves. You should be very proud of that. I'm very grateful! Enjoy your day, ladies. Counting down to Saturday - I am in desperate need of advice on a quilt top I need to make out of some Kaffe Fassett charm squares. I'm not a big fan and am really struggling with the colors. Thanks.....piece.

Lori said...

Hi everyone--
Pam and Jean--you ladies were very "talkative" today. I have to say as far as the blog goes--I totally agree with Jean. I like to go to the blog, have the pictures right there and not have to navigate to other places. I think you've done a great job with the blog Pam. I think back to before the blog. If you didn't make bee--you missed what you missed and sometimes never got caught up on that particular subject. With the blog--we can at least read about what was shown and talked about--then if you missed the bee and didn't quite get what was said on the blog, at least you got enough to ask about it later. Does that make sense??
As far a fusible web, I don't care for steam a seam because of the 2 pieces of paper. One always seems to come off before I need it to.
Like Jean, I like Heat N bond light. I think it stays fairly flexible. I window pane on large pieces. I have an applique sheet, but can't really say the last time I used it.
Now it's I who is "talkative".
Pam, hope some of this helps!!