Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good Evening Girls,

Is everyone keeping warm?  Geez, this blast of Winter is lasting too l-o-n-g!  I'm looking forward to Friday's forecasted warmer temps!  Meanwhile, we've been eating seafood barley chowder & I'm going to prep a crock pot of oatmeal tonight for tomorrow morning's breakfast! Here's a picture of a bowl that's ready to eat.  : D  I've decided this steel cut oatmeal recipe is good enough to share, so I'll put the recipe @ the end of this post.
Jean - neat-o that you made a snowman block too!!!  How did it turn out?!  Cute?!  I KNOW!!!  I LOVE those Bunny Hill designs - so/sew adorable!  Hey, how's your machine since it's "spa" treatment?

Lois - glad to hear that your Mom's doing a bit better!  Hang in there!  Are you doing any stitching?  Sometimes busy hands help soothe the heart/soul/mind.  ; )

Lor - thanks for offering to host tomorrow night.  Have there been any takers?  It's hard for me to say if I'll be-e there or not.  It sort of depends on how I feel when I get up.  Yesterday I was a bit grumpy, today I'm not...?!  It's the whole getting back into the work/night shift groove.  What have you been sewing?

Dolores - hey girlfriend!!!  Good to hear from you!  : )  Glad if you got the light, it works & you like it!!!  OK, what have you been sewing & making?!  Any recent Fabric Shack or Hancock's deliveries...?!  ; )  Have you progressed to turn overs or sweet rolls?!

Cath - how's work been?  What are you sewing?  Did you make a snowman block?  : )  Any more news about the end of the month sew-in @ your place?!

LA - aww, I'm glad if Jingle made you smile!  Are you feeling better?  How 'bout Kevin?  And, what about the rest of your household?  How are the *new* valances?!  Doing any other stitching?

Mare - you've been quiet...  How's that sewing machine?  Any news?  Are you hand stitching a snowman block?

Mo - you too have been quiet...  What's going on in your world?  Have you been fondling your fabric...?!  ; )  What's the next project you want to do?

How's that Peggy doing?  Does anyone know?  Is her Dad home now?

Here's the steel cut oatmeal recipe...You make it in your crock pot overnight & it's magically ready to eat for breakfast!!!  ; )

2 cups steel cut oats
1/4 - 1/2 cup pearled barley or bulgar wheat (optional)
8 cups water
1 - 3 inch cinnamon stick
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar...I use turbinado or raw sugar.  You could use white or brown sugar.
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp mace
1 tsp sea salt
Dump everything into a large crock pot, turn to low & cook for 8 - 10 hours.  When you get up, give it a stir - it'll look gloopy.  It may stick a little...just stir & scrape.  When you're ready to serve, mash a 1/2 a banana in the bottom a bowl, add oatmeal, a splash of milk, & sprinkle with a bit of turbinado sugar & glazed pecans.  De-lish!  Honest, I NEVER thought I'd like this, but it's really good!  You can add any fruit you like in place of the banana.  I tried adding fruit during the cooking process & it didn't work.  Enjoy!

Piecefully, Pam

P.S.  Isn't it nice to have that feeling of hopefulness for our Country...?!   

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I can't wait for spring...it is too cold. I haven't done my snowman block yet - but hopefully this weekend I'll get to it. I've been quilting a small quilt. Does anyone have thoughts when they would like to have the sew in. I can have it next Friday night 1/30 or Saturday morning 1/31. Let me know what is best for everyone.
Mare - did you get your machine in the shop?

Lori - I'm not sure I'll be able to make it tomorrow night. THanks for the offer and I'll let you know.

Lois - glad your Mom is doing better.
Hope everyone is well....keep warm!

quiltmamajb said...

Pam - the oatmeal looks good - I've been eating instant oatmeal in the morning with a teasp of brown sugar, craisins and broken up walnuts - very good! And it keeps you warm when you go outside. Cath - looks like you might have to just pick one - what time would Saturday be? Ask Maureen - I'll be there on the dot if you pick Saturday - not like some of those late sleepers! I'm working on a small heart wallhanging for Valentine's Day - and my list of other stuff. Lor - I won't be able to make it tomorrow night - we've been out every night this week and Kelly has some catching up to do on homework. Hey - are you going down to West Catholic next week - forgot to ask you that today. I got a kit on sale from Hancock's - it'll be coming in a few days - I've looked at this kit forever and would not spend full price - patience is indeed a virtue! Hey - I'm looking for a 40 strip jellyroll of very bright fabrics - anyone have any suggestions? I looked through Hancock's catalogue and didn't see what I have in mind....heading up to do a little sewing before bed - just got back from a b-ball game....take it easy, girls. Can't wait till sewing next week - sometimes bee is just not long enough for all the questions I have - speaking of which, I should start my list now. Piece......

lois said...

Pam,
I'm anxious to try your oatmeal recipe. I eat instant oatmeal most mornings with blueberries or raspberries on top.

LA said...

Hi everyone! Hope your week is going smoothly.

Pam - is there really an ingredient called mace. Is it the same at mace that is used to spray attackers? I am intrigued?!?! hhhhuuuummmmm...

Lois - still keeping your mom in my prayers.

Lori - I don't think I will make it. Jules and Sean both have fevers, and I think I might be catching something else.

Does anyone recommend any particular multi-vitamin? I think I need them!

I keep walking past my machine and fabric and hope that one day soon I will be able to dust things off and use them!

I am looking forward to seeing everyone soon...at Cathy's! Stay warm. I am thinking of you mamas!